Castle Square Car Park Retaining Wall
The works at Castle Street comprised of the stabilisation and remedial works to a retaining wall which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and ranges in height up to a maximum of 8m.
- Town Centre Improvements
- Retaining Wall Reconstruction & Stabilisation
- Masonry Works
- Scheduled Ancient Monument
The project consisted of:
- Dismantling and reconstruction of the parapet to the top of the wall including the installation of a new coping
- Vegetation removal from the face of the wall
- Repointing of the wall using lime mortar
- Installation of 66 no. Cintec sock anchors through the wall into the underlying siltstone, including removal of stones to the face of each anchor prior to drilling and reinstatement upon completion to hide the anchor head
- Construction of facing to the underlying bedrock incorporating a stone masonry wall on mass concrete footing with concrete backing and dowels into bedrock
- Accommodation works including the demolition of a brick masonry wall, rebuilding of small sections of stone masonry wall, kerbing, resurfacing and installation of new street furniture
All works were undertaken with minimal disruption to the adjacent car park, market square and town centre.
The project received a Ludlow Heritage Award 2012 from the Ludlow Conservation Area Advisory Committee and an ICE West Midlands Heritage Award.