Abercynon Park & Ride
The project comprised the construction of a park and ride facility in a very restricted location directly adjacent to Abercynon Railway Station and alongside an operational railway line and the River Taff.
The park and ride facility was to be created on reclaimed derelict land to provide regeneration comprising:
- Parking for up to 160 cars, including 11 disabled parking spaces
- CCTV coverage
- Improved lighting and signing
- A new two span bridge across River Taff with footways linking Navigation Park with access to the Abercynon Railway Station to create a first class integrated transport facility.
Alun Griffiths (Contractors) Ltd proposed a significant reduction to the Contract Period by utilising smaller plant to access the existing bridge and by double handling materials from a marshalling area in Navigation Park. This allowed the construction of the car park and subway concurrently with the bridge works.
The project was delivered well ahead of programme:
- Contract commenced 22nd February 2010
- Original Contract period 72 weeks (Completion 11th July 2011)
- Contractor planned completion 52 weeks (22nd February 2011)
- Contractor handover 14 December 2010 – 42 weeks
This was 10 weeks ahead of the Contractor’s revised scheduled date and 30 weeks ahead of the contractual date. The overall cost of the scheme was projected as £4m, but due to a combination of positive partnership working, excellent community relations and value engineering a saving of £1m was made.